Venue – Nottingham University Pool
Date – Saturday 13th October 2012
Despite a few technical hitches with the University equipment, the 2012 Club Championships got off to an exciting start, thanks to a gallery of enthusiastic spectators who kept the momentum going for the duration of a competitive but good-natured event.
As a parent I was especially proud to see our swimmers applauding each other at every opportunity, to celebrate not only success but, more importantly, participation. If there’s one thing (and there are many more) that sets Portland apart from other clubs it is sportsmanship amongst its members.
This was a night of brave first swims, broken club records, 25 County Times achieved, family head to heads and a whole lot of fun.
- Francesca Roberts, Ethan Pywell, Katie Moyes, Andrew, Anthony and Amelia Tsolakis, Archie Symes, Dahlia Brinklow, Molly Campbell – well done on your first Club Champ swims, especially Katie on that never-ending 100IM!
- The following achieved County Times on the night : Andrew De Boer (4), Dahlia Brinklow (3), Emma Horne (1), Esther Simmons (1), Jack Harmer (4), Jaime Misiuda (3), Madeleine Mackay (1), Michael Pawluk (4), Molly Campbell (1), Rebecca Phillips (1), Samuel Mackay (2)
***Please follow these links to the County Qualifying Times, the Youth & Senior Schedule and the Counties – Age Groups Schedule – the age the swimmers will race at the Counties is based on the age they are on 24th March 2013. To be eligible swimmers need to have achieved the times by early January 2013***
- Dahlia Brinklow – has stormed into the club with some impressive swims and a club record (see later).
- Andrew de Boer – a phenomenal last leg of the 100 IM which, given another metre of pool, would have pipped Dom on the touch!
- Amy Hardy – 7 amazing swims in the highly exciting eliminator finale.
- Dom Misiuda – for revealing his age…oh and for representing the coaches with an awesome 100 IM.
- Andrew and Charlie – winning the eliminator with 7 back to back swims and an amazingly close finish after a determined final head to head between Andrew and Jack.
- The following for breaking club records:
- 100m IM – Holly McGarva (10/u); Esther Simmons (12/u); Madeleine Mackay then Emma Horne, then new record holder Dahlia Brinklow (14/u); Jack Harmer (14/u), Hannah Simmons (16/u)
- BACKSTROKE – Holly McGarva (25m 10/u); Dahlia Brinklow, Lizzie Mulligan then new record holder Madeleine Mackay (50m 14/u); Jack Harmer (50m 14/u).
- 50m BUTTERFLY – Esther Simmons (12/u); Jack Harmer (14/u); Rebecca Phillips, Molly Campbell then new record holder Hannah Simmons (16/u).
- 50m BREASTSTROKE – Emma Horne (14/u).
- 50m FREE – Jack Harmer (14/u).
- Paul Toplass – very professional announcements.
- Andy Mulligan – going beyond the call of duty with a classy programme design and an inspired idea for the fabulous final event (I am sure that will be back by popular demand!)
- Well done all swimmers for an entertaining evening and thank you supporters for creating a lively atmosphere.
This gala could not happen without the assistance of a large poolside team and it was fantastic to have so many willing volunteers – thank you guys!