After a short delay waiting for the Officials training to finish the warm up began for the Stage 1 ASA Trophy Gala. For a while it looked as though we may not be able to participate at all with not enough swimmers being available to swim but with a little persuasion we got a team together. We were still unable to enter some boys age 8/9 races so we were off to a ‘No Points’ start with those.
With a few swimmers taking part in this as their first gala it was very much a night for gaining experience and getting to know the ropes for gala swimming. As Guy pointed out some of the younger swimmers will definitely remember the experience and atmosphere for a long time – all heightened a little by the initial wait ! So well done to all of you taking part in your first gala – you were all fantastic.
Despite a handful of and 7 ‘No Points’ it was still a night for successes as we had a number of PB’s and a special congratulations to Cecily Kay for achieving a County Time in the 50m Backstroke. Well Done Cecily ! We had a few 2nd places in individual races and despite coming last overall we weren’t too far behind the others.
The following children all achieved Personal Bests, so well done to;
- Dan Hardy for his 50m Backstroke and the 50m Breaststroke
- Erin Birney, Edward Roberts, Orla Beaven and Andrew Tsolakis for the 50m Breaststroke
- Stanley Toplass, Lucy Toplass, Archie Symes and Andrew Tsolakis for their 50m Fly
- Lucy Toplass, Stanley Toplass and Edward Roberts for the 50m Freestyle
- Archie Symes for his 50m Backstroke
- Cecily Kay for achieving a County time in 50m backstroke.
Also a special mention to the age 10/11 boys group for some fantastic individual and relay swims which were all very close and many being in 2nd place.
So overall despite a few hiccups it was well worth everyone attending and some valuable experiences gained – Well done everyone.
Thanks also to the poolside team and judges for your help and support.