It was an early start for the Portland swimmers, who trekked north to get to the 8.30am warm-up at Water Meadows in Mansfield, on both days of the second weekend of the 2016 Nottinghamshire County Championships.
Saturday 6th February
The heavy rain on the way didn’t dampen their spirits.
Mansfield swimmer, Ben Rees, punching the air at the end of his multi-disability 50m breaststroke swim, the first event, set the tone for the day.
Gaby Marriott, Rebecca Horne and Dahlia Brinklow all swam really well in the second event, the 100m IM, with Rebecca achieving a PB and Gaby and Dahlia close to theirs.
After a short rest, Gaby and Rebecca were in action again, joined by Beatrice Munro to race 50m backstroke. Again strong swims by all and a fantastic new PB and 9th place for Bea. Well done Bea!
Enjoying a well deserved rest
In the afternoon, Emma Horne and Esther Simmons joined the poolside team to compete in the 50m breaststroke. Good swims by both; Esther was only 5 hundredths outside her best time.
The last event of the day brought forth powerful 50m butterfly swims from Gaby, Bea, Esther and Dahlia. Gaby not only finished 6th fastest in the heats to reach the Final, but she set a fabulous new PB, which just happened to be a Midland time! Absolutely brilliant, Gaby!
After 8 hours in the stifling atmosphere of the Hynd & Henshaw Competition Pool and 3 hour wait following the heats, Gaby managed to pull another PB out of the bag to finish 6th in the 50m fly Final. All good swimmers know – every one hundredth second counts! Amazing!
A very apt sign in the Water Meadows foyer
Sunday 7th February – RELAY DAY!!
A day of crowds, heat and, above all, noise. And that was just the full-to-overflowing warm-up!
26 Club swimmers competed for Portland in Freestyle and Medley relays against the best swimmers in Nottinghamshire. They were courageous, determined and great representatives of Nottingham Portland Swimming Club. They did themselves, their parents and their coaches proud:
- Mixed 11/12 years 200m freestyle team – Raj Malhi, Ruby Dunne, Mai Drury & Dylan Hughes
- Girls 11/12 years 200m medley team – Ava Tucker, Angelina Giannino, Dominique Browne-Gallina & Alice Brumwell
- Mixed 11/12 years 200m medley team – Dylan Hughes, Raj Malhi, Dominique Browne-Gallina & Ruby Dunne
- Girls 11/12 years 200m freestyle team – Angelina Giannino, Mai Drury, Ava Tucker & Alice Brumwell
- Mixed 13/14 years 200m freestyle team – Dan Hardy, Gaby Marriott, Briony O’Keeffe & Stanley Toplass
- Girls 13/14 years 200m medley team – Emma Watson, Bethan Simmons, Gaby Marriott & Maddie Poon
- Mixed 13/14 years 200m medley team – Emma Watson, Briony O’Keeffe, Stanley Toplass & Dan Hardy
- Girls 13/14 years 200m freestyle team – Emma Watson, Bethan Simmons, Maddie Poon & Gaby Marriott
- Mixed 15/16 years 200m freestyle & medley team – Edward Roberts, Esther Simmons, Angelina DiFolco-Brooks & William Cranton
- Girls 15/16 years 200m freestyle team – Esther Simmons, Angelina DiFolco-Brooks, Lucy Toplass & Chloe Matthews
- Mixed 17/Over 200m freestyle & medley team – Matt Price, Emma Horne, Rebecca Horne & Jonny Higham
11/12 year Relay Teams
Can I have your autogragh?
We are the champions, my friends …
13/14 year Relay Teams
Why are we waiting?
15/16 year Relay Teams
Open Relay Team
Thank you to every single Portland swimmer – you make a great team!