This Dobb gala was the third league gala in as many weeks.
So a certain amount of competition fatigue might have been expected, but there was no such thing in the Portland camp – swimmers enjoyed it as much as ever, back again at Hucknall Leisure Centre.
Individual plaudits for:
- Tilly, who kicked off the individual events of the night, literally, with a powerful display of backstroke over 50m and followed up with three speedy lengths of freestyle in 14/u medley, freestyle and cannon relays.
- Luke got new Personal Bests in both his individual 14/u 50m events, a smooth gliding 50m backstroke and gritty 50m butterfly – undeterred by the line-up of large young men, he knocked over 4 seconds off his fly time. Four events later he started off the Open freestyle relay! `Effort of the night’ award to Luke!
- Liesje boomeranged through the evening, swimming every few events: in the 12/u 50m breaststroke she took 3 seconds off her PB; then she swam all four of the girls’ 10/u 25m events PB’ing and setting new times in them all with two 3rd places, PLUS she did the first leg of the 12/u freestyle relay. Good going Liesje and great dives all night!
- Harrison achieved a magnificent 3rd place swimming up in the 12/u 50m breaststroke with his punchy, effective style and had really strong swims in 12/u relays. He’s 9 years old. Fabulous Harrison!
- Oliver motored through two 10/u 25m events, swimming to a PB with superfast arms in the backstroke and exhibiting mighty strength in the butterfly.
- Briony was impressive in 14/u 50m breaststroke, but for a wobble on the blocks would have finished 3rd and, as in all her races, fought all the way in 14/u 50m freestyle to 5th.
- Anatoly impressed in his debut league gala by slicing 12 seconds(!!) off his 50m breaststroke time and 5 seconds off 50m freestyle. Well done Anatoly for strong 14/u individual and relay swims.
- Bethan swam up in an extremely close Open 50m breaststroke, which began with an amazing far-out dive and ended with a 3rd place touch. She then finished way ahead of the rest of the field in 14/u fly (which included a fabulous turn!) with a new Personal Best and Speeding Ticket!
- Edward swam a brilliant Open 50m breaststroke to win the race in Peaty style and log a new PB, followed by a 3rd place finish in the Open 50m backstroke. Extraordinary Edward.
- Ethan had an excellent evening with two 3rd places in 10/u 25m freestyle and 25m breaststroke, the first recording a New Time, the latter a new PB.
- Mai did a wonderful dive and swam an explosive 12/u 50m butterfly, expending huge energy over both lengths to finish 4th. She repeated the show of power in relays. A-Mai-zing!
- Lucian too went all-out in a tight 12/u 50m fly event and, though DQ’d for the start, swam it 5 seconds faster than ever before. He also spanned 3 age groups, competing in freestyle relays for 12/u, 14/u and Open!
- Chloe was `free’ all night – she swam a forceful 50m freestyle in the Open category and 2 more stylish freestyle legs of medley and freestyle relays.
- Connor, coach and Club Captain, proved an exceptional role model once again as a Portland swimmer – setting PBs in both individual Open events, coming 1st in 50m freestyle (with an amazing last length and Speeding Ticket!) and 3rd in 50m fly.
- Lucy slashed 5 seconds off her PB in a super smooth 12/u 50m backstroke with a terrific last length and was equally slick in 12/u freestyle and medley relays.
- Liam pulled and kicked hard in his 12/u 50m backstroke and was rewarded with a 3 second PB and applied the same determination in the boys 12/u & 14/u freestyle relays.
- Rebecca, most senior girl and role model, coolly demonstrated magnificent underwater work in both Open 50m butterfly and 50m backstroke, finishing 3rd and 2nd respectively.
- Alice showed off her racing skills in 12/u 50m freestyle with a far-reaching dive and excellent, effective turn, after accomplished legs in relays.
- Will put in a good, fast performance, swimming up an age group in 12/u 50m free, against boys potentially almost 3 years older! Well done Will.
The whole team produced exciting relays, but some were particularly supercharged:
- Rebecca, Edward, Connor and Chloe – 1st in the Open mixed medley
- Liesje, Lucy, Alice and Mai – 2nd in 12/u girls freestyle relay
- Luke, Anatoly, Briony and Tilly – 1st in 14/u mixed medley relay
- Mai, Tilly, Briony and Bethan – 2nd in 14/u girls freestyle relay
Our swimmers were fantastic. Many either swam up age groups or were the youngest in the two year age categories. What a team!
Log in to Swimmers’ Corner Gala News for full results.